Considering the LLB in Mauritius
LLB LAW – ENGLISH AND FRENCH SYLLABUS
You may opt to pursue your LLB Law Course at the University of Mauritius (UOM)
The LLB Course offered by the University of Mauritius can be advantageous; it provides English and French courses. This then leads to a bilingual law degree.
- You will need at least a “credit” in French and a pass in the English Language at Cambridge School Certificate Examination.
- If you’re planning on pursuing a law degree, it will be helpful to opt for subjects with an element of essay writing and verbal communication.
- You don’t necessarily have to do law for A-level, albeit the fact that it might give you a foretaste of the degree.
- You must pass two ‘A’-level subjects
- and two at the Advanced Subsidiary level at the Higher School Certificate Examination.
- Alternatively, a pass in three subjects at ‘A-Level and one subject at Advanced Subsidiary Level.
In order to secure a place at the University of Mauritius, you must abide by the point system requirement. Based on the 2021 application, at least 26 points were required. The counting of points is done as follows:-
A* = 12
A = 10
B = 8
C = 6
D = 4
E = 2
DURATION LLB Full-Time
|CORE MODULES||L/T/P||Contact |
|Self-study Hrs||Other |
|Mauritian Legal System and|
Communication Skills for Lawyers
|Droit des Personnes et |
Droit de la Famille
|Constitutional and |
|Droit des Obligations||2+1||60||120||180||12|
|Public International Law||2+1||30||60||90||6|
|Droit des Biens||2+1||30||60||90||6|
|Intellectual Property Law||2+1||30||60||90||6|
|Legal Research Methods||2+1||30||60||90||6|
|Law of Companies||2+1||60||120||180||12|
|Revenue Law & Law of Trusts||2+1||60||120||180||12|
|Régimes Matrimoniaux et|
Droit des Successions et Libéralités
|Labour and Industrial Relations Law||2+1||60||120||180||12|
|Law of Finance||2+1||30||60||90||6|
|Law of Evidence||2+1||30||60||90||6|
|Practical Training-Law Clinic|
|Elective modules||L/T/P||Contact Hours||Self-study Hrs||Other Learning Hrs||LCCS Credits|
|Private International Law||2+1||30||60||90||6|
|International Trade Law||2+1||30||60||90||6|
The LLB is a qualifying law degree.
LLB MODULES – UK UNIVERSITIES
Seven compulsory LLB modules must be done to complete this degree. The first and second year of LLB:
- Constitutional Law
- Criminal Law
- Contract Law
- Property/Land Law
- Equity & TrustS
- EU Law and
- Tort Law
In the third year, you will be able to select around four subjects of your choice. This can be commercial law, Intellectual property Law, family law etc.
Law Dissertation is one option that you may consider as one of your LLB modules, depending on the university’s law module structure.